MODULE #10-COPYRIGHT SCENARIOS
On your Website
- Make sure that each scenario could be used in a workshop setting to promote discussion and assist in learning how copyright rules and regulations impact the distance education environment.
- Follow copyright management center
- One paragraph each with 6 sentences
- And the four factors included :
- The purpose and character of the use
- The nature of the work
- The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the work as a whole
- The effect of the use on the market or potential market for the original work
Scenario 1-Artistic Images copied from a google search to be placed on a Blog/Website for a college class assignment.
- Student A in Ms. Harmon's Online Art Appreciation Course has been given a final assignment to make a BLOG which will include a biography of an artist born after 1900 and who is found in their textbook. The Blog has to include 5 images of the artist’s art work. Student A does a Google search for the images and does find a site with good pictures which Student A would like to use. Student A cannot find any posted statement saying that these pictures are protected by copyright laws. Student A posts 5 of the images from the site on the student’s Blog. Student A does cite the source where the student found each image. Would Student A have followed the copyright law correctly by doing this?Was it necessary to include the source?
- 1.The purpose and character of the use,this is for non profit and educational use.
- 2.The nature of the work, is that it is public and published and artistic.
- 3.The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the work as a whole, and the student here is using no more that needed but the law does not provide a certain limit.
- 4.The effect of the use on the market or potential market for the original work, is that no financial harm would come to the artist because of this and the student is not profiting financially from this use.
Scenario 2- Art Mueum Video found on Youtube and then copied for a college class assignment.
- Student A in Ms Harmon's Online Art Appreciation Course has an asignment to do a presentation about how to visit an Art Museum.Student A finds a great video posted on Youtube with animation and made by The Art Institute of Chicago.Student A reads the usage restrictions on You tube and on The Art Institute of Chicago's website to be 100 percent sure that Student A does not need to cite the source and that it is fair for the student to use the video because it is for educational use and since the student A is doing this for a college assignment the student posts this video on his presentation and prrsents it to the class with praise.According to coppyright law would this be acceptable?Why or whynot?
- 1.The purpose and character of the use,non profit and educational.
- 2.The nature of the work,it is public material for education
- 3.The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the work as a whole,using only amount needed for the assignment.
- 4.The effect of the use on the market or potential market for the original work,none as this is for education and not for profit.